Saturday, November 07, 2020

The better part of Valour, is Discretion

 From Falstaff, Shakespeare, Henry IV, Part I, Act 5, Scene 3.

Today I awoke with a tension headache. And a sinus headache. And no sunglasses to be found. And realized, a 4 to 5 hour, 250 mile motorcycle ride, the first half directly into the sun, would be less than ideal. Particularly given that I have ridden perhaps 250 total miles in the last 2 years. Not a recipie for heath, wealth or wisdom.  Perhaps wisdom, as if I did go ride that far, with this little prep, I'd damn sure know not to do that again.  But - I have done stupider things, and learned from them, so perhaps I have gained some wisdom over the years. 

 

The company of Henry IV Part I, directed by Gregory Doran in 2014  
 
Henry IV, via Royal Shakespeare Company (1)

 So, plans have changed.  Enjoy the sun in the local area.  Help mom out getting her garden closed down for winter. Clean up some weeds and see if my new chipper-shredder works. And go ride.  But locally.  Take the Ducati out for a bit, top off the tank with no-ethanol gas and Sta-Bil. Take the Yamaha out for a bit longer (bigger tank), top off the tank with no-ethanol gas.  Perhaps half a can of SeaFoam on general principle. 

Oh, and the damn Nissan Pickup still needs a battery.  So that should be on the 'get-r-done' list.  (added).

Once that's running, find the pre-cut spacer boards and run it up to the hardware store for an eighth of a ton of sandbags over the axles for winter running.  Found a quarter ton (last year) was quite overkill. 

All of which involve moving, activity, outside, and sunshine.  Sounds like a win to me, even if I don't get to meet up with the 'Polar Bear Club' and start my winter riding season. 


Namaskara!

Will England


---
(1) Rsc.org.uk. n.d. Famous Quotes | Henry IV Part I | Royal Shakespeare Company. [online] Available at: <https://www.rsc.org.uk/henry-iv-part-i/about-the-play/famous-quotes> [Accessed 7 November 2020].

No comments: