Monday, August 10, 2020

Google Sites Update Breaks Podcasting File Storage

For many years I'd been using a 'Google Sites' page with files stored on the page. I'd post an audio blog once a year or so, not particularly critical to me.  But Google started migration of classic sites, where each binary file you post has a direct and correct HTTP link to it, to the New Google sites, which moved all the binary attachments (mp3 files for the podcast) into a Google Drive folder.  Google Drive links aren't supported by the HTML <audio> tag -- they aren't really direct links to download the mp3 file for playback.

You can check out the original How To Use Google Sites for Podcasting post  from 2019...

So, that broke Google Sites for hosting your podcast files.

To mitigate the issue, I am now using a subfolder on one of my domains, hosted at Pair.com. Those are direct HTTP links to the mp3 file for the podcast.  The new Blogger still *should* support enclosure links (it claims it does) which, when read by your podcast app, allow your podcast app to download the mp3 file for later listening.

I also embed the audio in the web-page with the <audio> tag, which works remarkably well. 

So, that's been my afternoon.

P.S. Pair hosting uses FTP-SSL, not SFTP, at least for my account.

No comments: