Thursday, August 21, 2014

Today? Search challenges and Paying Attention

Today I paid attention at work.  Searched for a few things.  And found more SEO problems than I really wanted to. Pages with no machine readable content. Out of date pages so highly optimized they're still coming up in the first page of search results. I found a bunch of problems like this. I am just a Business Analyst. Its not my day job to pay attention to production issues. The first thing to do is find the stakeholders for all of these pages. Most of these changes are pretty simple. About 90 seconds maybe 2 or 3 minutes to really make the change in some of the pages. But since I'm not operations, I have to take it to the business owners to ensure that the changes I want to make are the same as their 'vision'.

So tomorrow, we meet with stakeholders and process people and more to start fixing some of these SEO issues we find on the production site.

It seems that by paying attention I've only made more work for myself and everyone else on the digital team. But the upside to paying attention will ensure the customer has a better experience and can actually find what they are looking for when they search for our new key words.

When it comes right down to it, paying attention benefits a customer. And that's what it's all about right? Taking care of what our customer needs.

No comments: