Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The More Things Change . . .

A few years ago (well, some 2,900 years ago), a new leader was risen up to the people.  He was young and powerful and glorious, and he was tasked to find his way as a leader. The people, fearing that he would continue to tax them as heavily as had his father, promised their loyalty in return for a lighter burden.

 "And the young men that were grown up with him spake unto him, saying, Thus shalt thou speak unto this people that spake unto thee, saying, Thy father made our yoke heavy, but make thou it lighter unto us; thus shalt thou say unto them, My little finger shall be thicker than my father's loins.

11And now whereas my father did lade you with a heavy yoke, I will add to your yoke: my father hath chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions." (KJV, 1-Kings-12)


Hmm.  King Rehoboam didn't have a great ending. Wonder how our story will come out?   Who will be our Rehoboam? 

(Side note - this bible study stuff is as addictive as constitutional law.  I have no life.)


1 comment:

Will England said...

"My little finger shall be thicker than my father's loins." -- the various translations for that are cute, but they all seem to skirt the real translation:

"My father was dickless, and I shall rule over you!"