Monday, December 31, 2012
Sunday, December 16, 2012
In Connecticut, the following gun laws applied to the crazy bastard that shot up a school:
- Permit to purchase handgun
- FBI and State background check
- Training course
- and a high licence fee
- 14 day waiting period to purchase handgun
- Permit required to transport handgun, even to the range
- Guns must be stored unloaded in a locked container
- All transfers, even private party sales, are subject to having a permit and are registered and tracked through a state database
- All 'assault weapons' are registered since 1993.
- Cosmetic features and some functional features are banned (bayonet, pistol grip, etc) since 1993.
- Allowed police seizure of weapons with sworn warrant of 'danger to others'.
My question - which of these laws prevented this crazy person to obtain firearms? What law, regulation, training requirement, etc. will prevent future crazy people from obtaining guns and doing bad things?
"Easy - outlaw private possession of firearms!"
OK - would the billions of dollars it will take to register, sieze and destroy some or all private firearms be better spent on expanding and improving mental health programs so people can actually get the help they need?